Saturday, September 27, 2014

Final Discussion Post - Side Effects May Vary




Final discussion post of the month! Wow, how time flies. Thanks for a wonderful month of discussions on this book :).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discussion Questions:

* A lot happens in these chapters, especially at the beach house. How did you feel about what transpired between Harvey, Alice and her family?

* What do you think of Harvey's transformation in attitude? Does it change the way you feel about Alice at all?

* Here's the one you've been waiting for. The ending: yay, or nay?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Thoughts:

Whether you love Alice, or want to throw her out a window, I know that the beach house will prove to be an emotional setting either way. This is a pivotal part of the book. A piece where things are said, and done, that can never be taken back. Hearing Harvey finally admit that there's a huge piece of him trapped with Alice always breaks my heart. He wears his heart on his sleeve. Seeing Alice broken, and hearing Deborah be there for her despite that? Heart shattered. And then the scene with Alice and her parents on the deck. Well, seriously it didn't matter that Alice and I aren't exactly buddies. All of that still got me.

In terms of Harvey's attitude, I'd have to say that's what really struck home. He finally knew how wrapped up in Alice he was, and how easy it was to let her manipulate him. He realized how many times he'd let himself get hurt by her because he cared. I think part of me still wants to be mad at him for completely ignoring her, but the other part totally understands. Harvey did what he had to in order to separate himself from that. He took the space he needed, even if he didn't necessarily want it at first.

So, on to the ending. While I wouldn't say it's my favorite ending of all time, it fits with the story. It was kind of Alice to do something so personal for Harvey. Especially after all the ways that she used him before that. I have to say that I liked this book a little more during this second read through. It's still one that I'm on the fence about, but I think this time I was more willing to try to understand Alice and her motives. I hope you guys enjoyed it too :).


No comments:

Post a Comment