Sunday, September 7, 2014

Discussion Post #1 - The Enchanted



I'm hoping some of you out there have started reading this book as well! I picked up it, intending to read only the chapters assigned, and almost wasn't able to put it down. It took all my willpower not to read ahead. I'm anxious to see what all of you think.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discussion Questions:

Due to the short nature of this book, I'm going to keep the discussions very general, instead of giving you specific questions. Mostly, I'd like to see what readers of this book think of the writing style so far, and the fact that most of our characters have no actual names. Are you feeling this story so far? Or is it something that's not quite what you were expecting?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Thoughts:

To be honest with you, I'm enamored with this book without exactly knowing why. It's something about the descriptive writing I think. About the fact that these characters, who languish away in a hidden prison underground, don't even have the luxury of having names. Other than the prisoner that's in the spotlight right now, of course. At first, I was a little thrown off by the way this is written. The atmosphere of it all soon drew me right down in though and, by the time I realized that these are inmates on death row, I wanted so badly to keep reading.

I'm actually kind of sad this book is so short. So far, it feels like something that I'd want to keep reading. I just hope it continues on that way. I'm anxious to see what's coming next. Wondering if we'll get to know our narrator better, or if he'll always just be a nameless, faceless entity. I'm intrigued.



No comments:

Post a Comment