Sunday, September 14, 2014

Discussion Post #2 - The Enchanted




Does anyone else feel like this book just keeps getting better? Maybe it's just me, but I'm excited to see what you guys have to say about it this week!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discussion Questions:

Due to the short nature of this book, I'm going to keep the discussions very general, instead of giving you specific questions. This week, let's talk atmosphere. What do you think of the overall atmosphere of this book? Is it still keeping you interested? Is there anything that you're eager to find out?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Thoughts:

I've said it above, but I honestly feel like this book just keeps getting better the more I read. Is it a different style of writing? Yup, definitely. Is it a little vague at times? Yes to that as well. In this case though, I feel like it works well for the story. Not having anything particularly concrete to hold onto adds to the overall atmosphere of this book. It makes it feel almost like you're intruding on a dream, or a nightmare depending on how you swing it. There's something lilting about the way this is written, and it charms me into wanting to read more every single damn time.

I love that this week we were able to learn more about "The Lady" and her past. Her interactions with the aunt, her thoughts on the peaceful setting that is the woods, all of it made me feel like she is someone who I'd like to know. It seems like she might not always enjoy her job, but she does it with a zealous fervor nonetheless. I'm hoping for more about her. I also like that this story hasn't sugarcoated the terrible things that happen in this prison. I can't remember the exact line, but the one about how tv shows and stories make prison out to be one place, when in fact it's something all together different, amazed me. I don't even know what else to say.

I can't put my finger on why, but I like this book. Looking forward to more.



No comments:

Post a Comment