Monday, November 2, 2015

Ghost Story - Discussion Post #4



Are you ready to wrap up this read?

This time around, we're discussing the last portion of PART III and the Epilogue.

==================================================================

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

* Let's have an open discussion about the ending! What did you think? Were you happy with the resolution? Did it feel to you like everything tied up well enough?

==================================================================

MODERATOR THOUGHTS

Well, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the ending! I'll admit that I completely forgot about the first portion of this story, and so when things wrapped back around I was so impressed! Finally, some resolution. I really liked Don as a character, so the fact that he was the one to finish everything up felt really apt to me. The youngest, the fittest, maybe not the bravest but definitely willing to do whatever it took. The way this whole thing at at Don killed me, but I was thrilled that he tackled it head on.

Am I a bit devastated that so many of our main characters were lost to the madness? Of course. Sears James especially, because no matter how grumpy he may have been he was still Ricky's best friend. It broke my heart that Ricky had to go on without him. Still, it takes a special kind of person to sacrifice themselves for others, and so Sears went out with bang and not with a whimper. Good for him.

If I had to rate this book, I'd give it a 4. It was a slow burn, but the middle and the ending made it all worth it. I wouldn't quite put this on par with Stephen King, to be honest. I know a lot of people compare them. To me, Peter Straub is more reserved. Or at least in this story he was. Yes, there is violence. Yes, there is death. It's not quite on the same level though. It's a bit more palatable.


No comments:

Post a Comment